Karmelo Anthony's defense targets judge who said jury 'got it right' after murder conviction
A Texas judge will hear arguments Wednesday over whether the judge who presided over Karmelo Anthony’s June murder trial should be removed from his post-trial case, one day before a separate hearing on the convicted murderer’s request for a new trial.
Anthony’s new legal team, led by attorney Russell Wilson II, has asked another judge to remove Judge John Roach from all remaining proceedings, arguing Roach’s public comments after the trial created an appearance of bias.
The recusal hearing is scheduled for 9 a.m.
Wednesday.
Court records identify Judge Sid Harle as the presiding judge.
KARMELO ANTHONY BLASTS JUDGE IN NEW FILING OVER HANDLING OF MURDER TRIAL Anthony is expected to attend Wednesday’s hearing, a Collin County official told Fox News Digital.
The official said a bench warrant had been issued in the case.
Anthony was convicted in June of murdering 17-year-old Austin Metcalf , who prosecutors said he fatally stabbed during an altercation at a Frisco track meet .
A Collin County jury sentenced Anthony to 35 years in prison.
KARMELO ANTHONY FOUND GUILTY OF MURDER IN TEXAS TRACK MEET STABBING Wilson leads Anthony’s legal team, which filed two motions July 7 – one to recuse Roach and the other seeking a new trial.
The new-trial hearing is scheduled for 9 a.m.
Thursday.
The defense argues Roach cannot fairly rule on the post-trial motions because of remarks he made to reporters after the verdict.
KARMELO ANTHONY TRIAL IGNITES RIVAL CAMPS THAT THREATEN TO GET IN JURORS’ HEADS IN TRACK MEET STABBING: EXPERT KARMELO ANTHONY STAYS SILENT AS ANALYSTS WARN DEFENSE FACES UPHILL BATTLE IN TRACK MEET STABBING TRIAL The filing cites comments in which Roach said the jury "got it right" and defended several trial rulings, including his handling of courtroom access and the dismissal of three Black prospective jurors.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.foxnews.com — the content belongs to Fox News.