Trump threatens to bomb Oman, widening the war that crippled the global economy
U.S.
President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman because he is unhappy the country is close to a deal with Iran to manage ship traffic through the Strait of Hormuz , two regional officials said on Tuesday, a day after Trump leveled the threat.
The officials said the Trump administration has told Oman it is opposed to parts of the yet-to-be-announced deal , including the joint Iranian and Omani management of the exit route out of the passage that’s critical to global supplies of oil and natural gas.
The officials were briefed on the U.S. position and how the administration views Oman’s position.
Meanwhile, a projectile hit a ship as it sailed out of the strait, and a cargo vessel was rendered a “constructive total loss” by multiple projectiles off the coast of Yemen, according to the British military’s maritime monitoring agency.
The defense ministry of the United Arab Emirates said two ballistic missiles were launched from Iran toward the UAE.
An Iranian official said the strait would not reopen until the United States meets Iran’s conditions.
US believes Oman has not been tough enough with Iran The U.S. believes Oman has not been tough enough in its negotiations with Iran and is unhappy with Oman’s agreement to collect voluntary fees from vessels, even if the charges are related to security and maritime environmental protection, according to the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to journalists.
Trump on Monday threatened to bomb Oman as it works with Iran on a deal to open the strait and pave the way for the U.S. and Iran to resume negotiations to end the war.
He posted a map on social media on Tuesday depicting the strait as U.S. territory.
The president first mentioned the idea in an offhand comment last week.
On Monday, he told reporters in the Oval Office, “I like the idea of declaring it a territory,” without providing details.
The White House on Tuesday referred to Trump’s remarks in the Oval Office and declined to comment further about Oman.
Iran refers to Trump’s ‘delusion’ about the strait Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi appeared to respond to Trump’s post on social media depicting the strait as American territory.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on fortune.com — the content belongs to Fortune.