New Mexico’s attorney general reportedly pushes new social media safety laws a day before 29 AGs testify against Meta in federal trial
New Mexico Attorney General Raúl Torrez is reportedly working with state lawmakers to draft two new bills strengthening consumer protections and child safety online, the day before 29 state attorneys general are set to face off against Meta in a separate federal trial in Oakland, California.
The legislation, which is expected to be announced in the coming weeks, would extend beyond social media to cover artificial intelligence and chatbots.
“I think there’s a lot of momentum coming out of our victory in court, and the idea is to build on that momentum,” Torrez told the Guardian .
The timing lines up two fronts in the fight over Meta and child safety: Torrez’s push at the state legislative level, building on New Mexico’s own $942 million verdict against the company, and Tuesday’s opening statements in the federal case brought by California, Colorado, Kentucky and New Jersey as part of the broader 29-state coalition that sued Meta in 2023.
One of Torrez’s bills would remove the cap on penalties for violating New Mexico’s consumer protection laws.
“What we are going to do is continue to lobby Congress for that, but also to work at the state level to try and build not only a comprehensive social media safety bill, but also to reform and update our consumer protection laws,” he told the Guardian .
Torrez said his office is also pursuing a second, separate case against Meta over data privacy and civic harms, with a trial expected to begin in September.
In addition, he is preparing to file a lawsuit against an AI company over a chatbot he said children have formed emotional attachments to.
The New Mexico Attorney General’s office declined Fortune’s request for comment.
“We disagree with the ruling and will appeal,” a Meta spokesperson told Fortune.
“We work hard to keep people safe on our platforms and have been transparent about the challenges of identifying and removing bad actors and harmful content.
We remain confident in our record of protecting teens online and will continue to defend ourselves against claims that misrepresent the facts.” New Mexico’s legislative effort follows an Aug.
6 ruling in which First Judicial District Judge Bryan Biedscheid ordered Meta to create a $567 million abatement fund on top of $375 million in civil penalties a jury had already imposed in March, bringing the company’s total New Mexico liability to $942 million.
The court also imposed reforms lasting five years, including age verification, overnight limits on push notifications, and mandatory time-use limits for users under 18.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on fortune.com — the content belongs to Fortune.