Wednesday, August 19, 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇺🇸 US ▾
BREAKING
Dominion still has pending lawsuits against election deniers such as Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell Russia is 'going backwards' in equipment and deploying post WWII-era tanks, according to Western officials Podcast: One country musician is calling for other artists to oppose assault rifles Bidets save you money and reduce waste — we tested the best options out there 50+ products to make your life easier and our planet cleaner Mother's Day is around the corner. Here are 50+ thoughtful gifts she'll love A head-to-toe guide of how men should dress this spring, and where they should shop 42 of the most useful travel products you can buy on Amazon The 7 best high-yield savings accounts of April 2023 Taxes are due tomorrow. Here's how to file for an extension Dominion still has pending lawsuits against election deniers such as Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell Russia is 'going backwards' in equipment and deploying post WWII-era tanks, according to Western officials Podcast: One country musician is calling for other artists to oppose assault rifles Bidets save you money and reduce waste — we tested the best options out there 50+ products to make your life easier and our planet cleaner Mother's Day is around the corner. Here are 50+ thoughtful gifts she'll love A head-to-toe guide of how men should dress this spring, and where they should shop 42 of the most useful travel products you can buy on Amazon The 7 best high-yield savings accounts of April 2023 Taxes are due tomorrow. Here's how to file for an extension
World

Trump says US has no talks planned with Iran and other news from the Middle East

ABC News International ·
Trump says US has no talks planned with Iran and other news from the Middle East

U.S. President Donald Trump says the U.S. has no planned talks with Iran but insists the Strait of Hormuz remains open

U.S. President Donald Trump said Tuesday the U.S. has no talks planned with Iran but insisted the Strait of Hormuz remains “open and operating,” despite limited traffic and a reported strike on a ship exiting the waterway.

Earlier this week, Trump also threatened to bomb Oman as the country sought a deal with Iran to manage shipping traffic through the strait, two regional officials said Tuesday, a day after Trump reportedly leveled the threat if Oman "gets in the way.” Iran says the waterway will not be reopened until the U.S. meets its conditions.

As talks between Iran and Oman continue, a projectile hit a ship in the strait and Iran-backed Houthi rebels claimed they fired drones at an oil refinery in Saudi Arabia.

Here’s a look at the latest developments Tuesday in the Iran war and the wider Middle East. Full coverage can be found here .

As Oman and Iran say they are nearing a deal to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, Trump said on social media Tuesday that the U.S. blockade of Iranian ports remains “in full force and effect,” but asserted that all water mines have been removed and that other marine traffic was free to pass.

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi appeared to respond to Trump’s post.

“Just as Trump correctly wrote the name of the eternal Persian Gulf, soon his delusion regarding the Strait of Hormuz will either be corrected or we will correct the delusions of this deluded man," he wrote on X.

The Trump administration has told Oman it opposes parts of the yet-to-be-announced deal , according to officials briefed on the U.S. position. Those include joint Iranian and Omani management of the passage's exit route and the collection of voluntary fees from vessels, even if the money is used for security and maritime environmental protection.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to journalists.

The White House on Tuesday referred to Trump’s remarks in the Oval Office and declined to comment further about Oman.

The Egyptian Foreign Ministry said Tuesday that the Iranian-Omani deal could pave the way for Washington and Tehran to return to negotiations for a “comprehensive and permanent deal that addresses all concerns and enhances regional security and stability.”

The statement came after a meeting between Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty and Omani counterpart Badr al-Busaidi. But it did not address Trump’s latest threat against Oman.

The 60-day negotiating period ended this week between the U.S. and Iran with no clear end to the war in sight.

Read the full article on ABC News International ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on abcnews.go.com — the content belongs to ABC News International.

This story in other outlets

More from ABC News International

See all ›

More in World

See all ›