Friday, August 21, 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇺🇸 US ▾
BREAKING
Dominion still has pending lawsuits against election deniers such as Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell Russia is 'going backwards' in equipment and deploying post WWII-era tanks, according to Western officials Podcast: One country musician is calling for other artists to oppose assault rifles Bidets save you money and reduce waste — we tested the best options out there 50+ products to make your life easier and our planet cleaner Mother's Day is around the corner. Here are 50+ thoughtful gifts she'll love A head-to-toe guide of how men should dress this spring, and where they should shop 42 of the most useful travel products you can buy on Amazon The 7 best high-yield savings accounts of April 2023 Taxes are due tomorrow. Here's how to file for an extension Dominion still has pending lawsuits against election deniers such as Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell Russia is 'going backwards' in equipment and deploying post WWII-era tanks, according to Western officials Podcast: One country musician is calling for other artists to oppose assault rifles Bidets save you money and reduce waste — we tested the best options out there 50+ products to make your life easier and our planet cleaner Mother's Day is around the corner. Here are 50+ thoughtful gifts she'll love A head-to-toe guide of how men should dress this spring, and where they should shop 42 of the most useful travel products you can buy on Amazon The 7 best high-yield savings accounts of April 2023 Taxes are due tomorrow. Here's how to file for an extension
Latest

Chief Justice Makes Crucial Ruling on Future of Trump’s Tacky Ballroom

The Daily Beast ·
Chief Justice Makes Crucial Ruling on Future of Trump’s Tacky Ballroom

Kevin Lamarque / Kevin Lamarque/Reuters The Supreme Court has given Donald Trump the green light to keep building his White House ballroom as it considers whether the project is unlawful.

With a lower court injunction due to take effect within hours, Chief Justice John Roberts ruled that ballroom construction can proceed as the court ponders the president’s emergency plea to intervene.

The decision comes despite lower courts finding that Trump could not unilaterally demolish parts of the White House or reshape federal property without approval and funding from Congress.

However, the administration argued that the ballroom was a national security necessity and that any delay risked Trump’s safety due to the various threats on his life.

Trump’s lawyers also argued that the project—which now forms part of an underground military complex complete with bomb shelters—was built with material used in nuclear power plants that would be “virtually impossible to deconstruct.” “Quite frankly, if the building were tragically ordered to be taken down, or even altered, by the court, there would be no way to do so,” said Solicitor General John Sauer.

The Supreme Court’s decision means that construction can continue while legal proceedings play out.

The National Trust Preservation Committee filed the original lawsuit in December, accusing the president of overstepping his authority to fast-track the controversial project.

“No president is legally allowed to tear down portions of the White House without any review whatsoever—not President Trump, not President Biden, not anyone else,” said the group’s complaint, which was filed in the U.S.

District Court for the District of Columbia.

In a major blow for the president, Bush-appointed Judge Richard Leon agreed with the group, ruling in March that the ballroom “must stop until Congress authorizes its completion.” However, Trump has spent the past few months appealing the decision while rushing to complete as much of the ballroom as possible.

Last month, a divided federal appeals court voted 2-1 that the project should cease, resulting in Trump launching a 500-word diatribe on Truth Social, lashing out at the decision.

“We will be immediately appealing to the United States Supreme Court,” he said.

“The Military and Secret Service are viewing this horrendous, politically motivated, and unlawful ruling as a National Security threat to our Nation in that the entire Complex is being built for the protection of our Country and, additionally, all future Presidents.” According to the administration, construction is about 65 percent complete.

This week, as the U.S. debt hit a record $40 trillion, he even took reporters on a tour of the demolished White House grounds to show how far the project had progressed.

Read the full article on The Daily Beast ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.thedailybeast.com — the content belongs to The Daily Beast.

More from The Daily Beast

See all ›

More in Latest

See all ›