Thursday, August 20, 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇺🇸 US ▾
BREAKING
Latest

Prince Harry, Meghan Markle to move to UK: Everything to know

ABC News ·
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle to move to UK: Everything to know

Prince Harry and Meghan , the Duchess of Sussex, surprised the world this week with the news that they plan to move back to the United Kingdom more than six years after stepping away from their senior royal roles.

When they left their royal roles in 2020, in a move that became known as "Megxit," Harry and Meghan settled in Montecito, California, with their two young children , Archie and Lilibet.

Now the family of four will resettle in the U.K., with Archie and Lilibet set to start school in their father's home country in September, according to The Telegraph, which first reported the move.

Here is everything we know, and don't know, so far about the Sussexes' return to the U.K.

No, the Sussexes, who wed in 2018, have not commented publicly or confirmed their move from California to the U.K.

It is not yet known where Harry and Meghan and their two children will live in the U.K.

According to The Telegraph, the family plans to live in a "private, non-royal residence" near London.

Harry and Meghan no longer have their royal residence, Frogmore Cottage, after being asked to "vacate" the residence in 2023, their spokesperson said at the time.

No, neither Buckingham Palace nor Kensington Palace, the official offices of the king and William, respectively, have commented on Harry and Meghan's planned move.

Charles, Harry's father, was first made aware of his son and daughter-in-law's plan to move on Sunday, Aug. 16, a source familiar with the matter told ABC News.

Harry and Meghan visited the U.K. with Archie and Lilibet in July, when Harry undertook several public engagements in his home country.

Charles and his wife, Queen Camilla, met with Harry, Meghan, Archie and Lilibet while they were in the U.K., a royal source confirmed to ABC News at the time. The meeting was the first time Charles and Camilla were known to have seen Meghan and their grandchildren since 2022.

The Sussexes were not known to have seen William and his wife, Kate, the Princess of Wales, or their three children while in the U.K.

No plans have been announced for Harry and Meghan to resume their senior royal roles.

Read the full article on ABC News ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on abcnews.go.com — the content belongs to ABC News.

This story in other outlets

More from ABC News

See all ›

More in Latest

See all ›