Saturday, August 22, 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇺🇸 US ▾
BREAKING
Dominion still has pending lawsuits against election deniers such as Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell Russia is 'going backwards' in equipment and deploying post WWII-era tanks, according to Western officials Podcast: One country musician is calling for other artists to oppose assault rifles Bidets save you money and reduce waste — we tested the best options out there 50+ products to make your life easier and our planet cleaner Mother's Day is around the corner. Here are 50+ thoughtful gifts she'll love A head-to-toe guide of how men should dress this spring, and where they should shop 42 of the most useful travel products you can buy on Amazon The 7 best high-yield savings accounts of April 2023 Taxes are due tomorrow. Here's how to file for an extension Dominion still has pending lawsuits against election deniers such as Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell Russia is 'going backwards' in equipment and deploying post WWII-era tanks, according to Western officials Podcast: One country musician is calling for other artists to oppose assault rifles Bidets save you money and reduce waste — we tested the best options out there 50+ products to make your life easier and our planet cleaner Mother's Day is around the corner. Here are 50+ thoughtful gifts she'll love A head-to-toe guide of how men should dress this spring, and where they should shop 42 of the most useful travel products you can buy on Amazon The 7 best high-yield savings accounts of April 2023 Taxes are due tomorrow. Here's how to file for an extension
Latest

Canadian prime minister suspends trade talks with U.S., setting new 50% tariffs in motion

NBC News ·
Canadian prime minister suspends trade talks with U.S., setting new 50% tariffs in motion

Trade talks with Canada collapsed late Friday night, setting in motion steep 50% tariffs on a wide swath of Canadian goods. The duties come into effect at the stroke of midnight.

After weeks of talks, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced that while important progress had been made, “that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians.”

“As a result, this evening, I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa,” Carney said in an emailed statement.

The tariffs impact about $20 billion worth of U.S. imports from Canada, according to the U.S. Trade Representative’s office. The import taxes will hit everything from hockey sticks, to some building materials, liquors and certain kinds of clothing.

Carney says Canada will immediately retaliate against the U.S. “Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses,” he said.

The failure by American and Canadian trade negotiators to reach a deal came after nearly two weeks of furious talks.

Officials on both sides had seemed optimistic about a deal up until the very last moment. On Thursday, the Canadian minister responsible for U.S. trade relations met with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer for several hours.

“We’re very close, we continue to make progress and we’re going to stay here and do the work that is necessary until we get to that point,” Dominic LeBlanc told reporters as he left Greer’s office late Thursday.

Canadian negotiators met again with their U.S. counterparts on Friday and talks stretched until the final hours of the day. But ultimately, the two sides were unable to reach a compromise.

As talks wore on this week, the government of Prime Minister Mark Carney faced some pushback from premiers of Canada’s provinces back home.

Manitoba premier Wab Kinew said the Canadian federal government should “fight” Trump.

A particular sticking point was a request from Carney to the provincial premiers to lift their bans on American alcohol sales.

Quebec premier Christine Fréchette said Thursday that she was still “analyzing” the request, CBC reported. Other premiers, such as Ontario’s Doug Ford — who leads the country’s most populous region — did not make any public remarks on Thursday or Friday.

The prime minister had previously said Trump’s threatened tariffs would amount to a “direct violation” of the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement, which Trump had negotiated and signed during his first term.

Read the full article on NBC News ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.nbcnews.com — the content belongs to NBC News.

This story in other outlets

More from NBC News

See all ›

More in Latest

See all ›