Tuesday, 18 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇿🇦 ZA ▾
BREAKING
Latest

EMPD deputy chief and co-accused due in court for Mbense murder bail hearing

IOL ·
EMPD deputy chief and co-accused due in court for Mbense murder bail hearing

Suspended EMPD deputy chief Brigadier Julius Mkhwanazi (far right) and five co-accused are expected in the Brakpan Magistrate’s Court for a bail hearing over the alleged murder of Emmanuel Mbense.

Suspended Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Police Department (EMPD) deputy chief Brigadier Julius Mkhwanazi and his co-accused are expected to appear before the Brakpan Magistrate's Court for a bail hearing in connection with the alleged murder of Emmanuel Mbense .

They appeared in court last week, where the State placed on record details surrounding Mbense's death.

The State has classified the case as a Schedule 6 offence and is opposing bail for all six accused. This means they must demonstrate exceptional circumstances to justify their release on bail.

Mkhwanazi is appearing alongside former EMPD officer Keisha-Leigh Stols, EMPD officer Adrian Mackenzie, South African Police Service officer Bhekokwakhe Sibande, civilian Cobus Janse van Rensburg and Jaun Maree Eksteen, the wife of police informant Wiandre Pretorius.

The arrests followed an investigation into allegations that Mbense was tortured and killed at his Brakpan home in April 2022 before his body was dumped in Spaarwater Dam in Duduza, near Nigel.

Mbense's killing featured prominently at the Madlanga Commission, where evidence was presented about an alleged cover-up surrounding his death.

Evidence before the commission implicated Mkhwanazi in the alleged cover-up.

The late Marius van der Merwe, the owner of a security company who testified before the commission as Witness D, alleged that Mkhwanazi was called to the scene after Mbense was killed.

Van der Merwe was shot dead outside his Brakpan home on December 5, 2025, weeks after giving evidence before the commission.

He alleged that Mkhwanazi instructed people at the scene to dispose of Mbense's body at a mine dump or in a river.

State prosecutor Nceba Ntelwa told the court that Janse van Rensburg brought information to his co-accused that Mbense was the owner of one of two trucks allegedly used in a warehouse robbery on April 14, 2022.

The robbers allegedly used two trucks and a bakkie to load a large amount of copper from the warehouse.

Ntelwa said Janse van Rensburg showed the group footage in which Mbense's truck was visible.

Read the full article on IOL ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on iol.co.za — the content belongs to IOL.

More from IOL

See all ›

More in Latest

See all ›