Friday, 21 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇿🇦 ZA ▾
BREAKING
Latest

Madlanga Commission: Adams disputes IDAC affidavit over missing PKTT claims

IOL ·
Madlanga Commission: Adams disputes IDAC affidavit over missing PKTT claims

Suspended MP Fadiel Adams accused the former IDAC head, Andrea Johnson, of not being truthful about unit not investigating the PKTT.

A disputed affidavit, allegations of Political Killings Task Team (PKTT) funding and an accusation that he misled a minister have put National Coloured Congress MP Fadiel Adams at the centre of a tense confrontation at the Madlanga Commission.

Adams told the commission that his referral to the Investigating Directorate Against Corruption (IDAC) contained allegations concerning the KwaZulu-Natal Political Killings Task Team (PKTT), directly contradicting evidence given by former head Advocate Andrea Johnson.

Johnson previously told the commission that Adams’s Section 27 referral contained no allegations about the task team.

She had also repeatedly maintained that IDAC was not investigating the PKTT, which is managed by crime intelligence head Lieutenant-General Dumisani Khumalo.

Adams, the principal complainant in the corruption investigation involving Khumalo and other senior crime intelligence officers, disputed that account.

He said his affidavit specifically raised concerns about promotions involving officers attached to the task team and alleged that crime intelligence funds had been used for its operations.

But the affidavit presented by Johnson as Adams’s referral did not contain those allegations.

The discrepancy prompted Commissioners Mbuyiseli Madlanga, Sesi Baloyi and Sandile Khumalo to question whether the document had been fabricated or otherwise altered.

Adams also told the commission that he had opened a criminal case against IDAC and chief investigator Dylan Perumal over the handling of the investigation, which has since collapsed.

He conceded that he had misled Police Minister Senzo Mchunu when he claimed that corruption dockets opened against senior crime intelligence officers had been intercepted and that police had interfered with investigations.

Adams opened cases in Cape Town on October 29, 2025, and further cases in Gauteng on October 31.

The following day, he emailed Mchunu claiming he had been informed that the dockets had been intercepted in both provinces.

Commission evidence leader Lee Segeels-Ncube challenged Adams over why he had made the allegation before verifying it with the relevant police station.

Read the full article on IOL ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on iol.co.za — the content belongs to IOL.

This story in other outlets

More from IOL

See all ›

More in Latest

See all ›