All-Australian twist emerges as AFL delays naming squad in wake of Swans scandal
The AFL have delayed naming the All-Australian squad in the wake of the scandal engulfing the Sydney Swans.
Several Sydney Swans players are being investigated over an alleged sexual assault at a hotel in Melbourne, leaving the AFL club “shocked and disappointed”.
WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: AFL delays All-Australian squad amid Swans scandal
Stars Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, Riley Bice and James Jordon have since been revealed as the players assisting the police with their investigation, although Blakey’s manager has denied his client’s involvement.
Heeney and Warner would have likely been named in the squad, and potentially the final team, while Blakey would have been a chance as well.
But the league have decided to postpone naming the initial 46-man squad until next Monday.
“There was a big event about to happen in the next few days and that was the unveiling of the All-Australian squad, which the AFL was due to unveil this week with the All-Australian team to be announced at a major function next Tuesday night,” Wilson reported on The Agenda Setters.
“I can tell you that the AFL have deferred the release, I understand, of the All-Australian squad. I think that squad will now be announced next Monday, as has happened in the past.”
Wilson went on to say that the AFL are facing a potential nightmare situation over the Swans players making the final team, pending the outcome of the investigation.
“You have to ask the question, don’t you? And I haven’t got an answer about whether or not they will be in the squad or the team, but my belief is the AFL is wrestling with that question tonight and will reach a conclusion over the next couple of days.”
Kane Cornes, who was previously a selector for the team, said the potential “circus” involved would be problematic.
“I think you couldn’t have the circus that would eventuate from awards season with three of these players who would be in the squad,” he said.
“Certainly, Heaney would be in the team, Warner and Blakey would be in the squad, if not the team, to have them on these marquee nights when it would be such a distraction and would take it away from everyone else.
“So I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re removed from all Australian selection.”
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on 7news.com.au — the content belongs to 7NEWS Australia.