Thursday 20 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇦🇺 AU ▾
BREAKING
Australia news LIVE: Israeli ambassador summoned, IDF soldiers cleared of Frankcom death; Government debt hits $1 trillion; Suspended Swans players bleed sponsors Isaac Heeney dumped as face of own company amid Sydney Swans commercial fallout Book publisher presses pause as sponsors shun Isaac Heeney amid Sydney Swans scandal Erin Patterson appeal live: prosecutors seek life in prison without parole for triple murderer Trump allies label media bargaining code a 'shakedown' Alan Jones’s barrister argues alleged victim was not groomed because that ‘happens to young children’ Chammas stays coy on probing Cleary question Swans dump Saints from Pride Game ‘Grooming’ allegation sparks tense exchange in Alan Jones trial Tasmania Devils aim high in maiden VFL finals series Australia news LIVE: Israeli ambassador summoned, IDF soldiers cleared of Frankcom death; Government debt hits $1 trillion; Suspended Swans players bleed sponsors Isaac Heeney dumped as face of own company amid Sydney Swans commercial fallout Book publisher presses pause as sponsors shun Isaac Heeney amid Sydney Swans scandal Erin Patterson appeal live: prosecutors seek life in prison without parole for triple murderer Trump allies label media bargaining code a 'shakedown' Alan Jones’s barrister argues alleged victim was not groomed because that ‘happens to young children’ Chammas stays coy on probing Cleary question Swans dump Saints from Pride Game ‘Grooming’ allegation sparks tense exchange in Alan Jones trial Tasmania Devils aim high in maiden VFL finals series
Australian News

Eagles re-sign defender but big list cull looms

PerthNow ·
Eagles re-sign defender but big list cull looms

West Coast have re-signed key defender Rhett Bazzo for a further three years but a host of his teammates face a nervous wait to see if they will survive the upcoming list cull as well.

Bazzo was coming out of contract at the end of this year and his future prospects looked bleak after being overlooked for selection across the opening nine rounds.

That was on top of playing just eight games across the previous two years, with injuries and form keeping him largely out of the senior side.

But Harry Edwards' concussion blows and Reuben Ginbey's season-ending quad tear opened the door for Bazzo to lock down a spot earlier this season.

The 22-year-old has played the past 13 games to showcase his worth to the side, with his new deal tying him to the club until the end of 2029.

"Rhett's had periods where things haven't come easily, but he's remained committed, continued to improve and never lost sight of what was required to establish himself at AFL level," West Coast's list manager Matt Clarke said."This contract isn't based on a handful of games. It's recognition of the consistent work he's done behind the scenes, the growth he's shown over a number of years and the level he's been able to produce when given his opportunity."

West Coast have only snared four wins this season and will spend a sixth straight season out of the finals, but Bazzo is confident success is on the horizon.

"It's been another fun year, albeit not too many results going our way but we're building, we're growing towards something special in the future," Bazzo said."There's bright times ahead and I want to be here for that, so that's obviously one of the main reasons why I signed."

While Bazzo's future is now secure, the likes of Clay Hall, Fred Rodriguez, Harry Barnett, Harry Schoenberg, Harvey Johnston, Jack Williams, Jacob Newton, Malakai Champion, Marcus Herbert, Matt Flynn, Noah Long, Tom Cole and Tyler Brockman remain uncontracted beyond this year.

The Eagles have already tabled an offer to mid-season recruit Herbert, while premiership defender Cole may also be safe after reinventing himself as a pressure forward this year.

But with the Eagles' squad expanding beyond 50 players this year due to the AFL's concessions, West Coast are expected to make a series of ruthless list cuts at the end of the season.

West Coast will round out their home-and-away campaign when they host Hawthorn at Optus Stadium on Sunday.

Read the full article on PerthNow ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.perthnow.com.au — the content belongs to PerthNow.

More from PerthNow

See all ›

More in Australian News

See all ›