Wednesday 19 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇦🇺 AU ▾
BREAKING
Australian News

Sydney Swans assault probe: CEO Matthew Pavlich and chair Andrew Pridham address suspension of five players

PerthNow ·
Sydney Swans assault probe: CEO Matthew Pavlich and chair Andrew Pridham address suspension of five players

Sydney chair Andrew Pridham says his club’s suspended players are “extremely remorseful for their actions” and says there’s “deep disappointment” at their behaviour.

Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, James Jordon and Riley Bice have been banned from playing for the rest of the year, in a club-enforced decision made separate to the sexual assault investigation being conducted by Victoria Police.

This masthead is not suggesting the players are guilty of any wrongdoing, just that they are assisting police with enquiries.

Addressing the bans on Wednesday, Pridham said the players regretted their behaviour in the hours following the club’s win over Essendon on Sunday night into Monday morning.

“They’re extremely remorseful for their actions and having breached the club’s standards,” he said.

“Our thoughts go out to everybody who’s been impacted by these events, and we know it’s impacted many people, ranging from the partners of our staff, our players, our women’s program, our men’s program.

“There’s deep disappointment within the club at what has occurred. We know that many people are hurting.”

Swans chief executive Matthew Pavlich said the club was “deeply embarrassed and ashamed” at what had transpired.

The suspended players will be allowed to be at the football club while serving their suspensions.

“The AFL is supportive of the club’s sanctions,” the Swans said in a statement when announcing the player suspensions earlier on Wednesday.

“We respect there is an ongoing investigation by Victoria Police and the actions we have taken today are independent of this.”

Read the full article on PerthNow ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.perthnow.com.au — the content belongs to PerthNow.

This story in other outlets

More from PerthNow

See all ›

More in Australian News

See all ›