Monday 17 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇦🇺 AU ▾
BREAKING
Lies, damned lies and Big Four audits: If Australian capitalism isn’t in crisis, then it’s not far off 'Appalling' violence: armed group fires arrow at police ABC removes third Four Corners episode led by Mahmood Fazal Australia politics live: Greens senator accuses Labor of backing gas industry and billionaires over ‘disabled people and our families’ Anna Simon serves up the ultimate Italian breakfast after the Logies Alan Jones trial live updates: ‘Complainant C’ says Jones offered him tour of Packer suite before kissing him in walk-in wardrobe ‘Won’t prevent the next Bondi’: NSW opposition leader hits out at Labor’s gun buyback scheme NSW government reveals ‘nation-leading’ data centre pathway 'World-class': Cheika set for Waratahs coaching return Twelve months ago, the Knights were heading for the wooden spoon. Holbrook must be coach of the year Lies, damned lies and Big Four audits: If Australian capitalism isn’t in crisis, then it’s not far off 'Appalling' violence: armed group fires arrow at police ABC removes third Four Corners episode led by Mahmood Fazal Australia politics live: Greens senator accuses Labor of backing gas industry and billionaires over ‘disabled people and our families’ Anna Simon serves up the ultimate Italian breakfast after the Logies Alan Jones trial live updates: ‘Complainant C’ says Jones offered him tour of Packer suite before kissing him in walk-in wardrobe ‘Won’t prevent the next Bondi’: NSW opposition leader hits out at Labor’s gun buyback scheme NSW government reveals ‘nation-leading’ data centre pathway 'World-class': Cheika set for Waratahs coaching return Twelve months ago, the Knights were heading for the wooden spoon. Holbrook must be coach of the year
Australian News

WA, SA oppose participating in federal gun buyback scheme

PerthNow ·
WA, SA oppose participating in federal gun buyback scheme

Western Australia and South Australia have ruled out signing up to the federal government’s gun buyback scheme after NSW became the first state to agree to undertake the jointly funded reform.

The measures are the biggest crackdown on firearms since the Port Arthur massacre nearly three decades ago. They were introduced as part of legislation passed in January following the Bondi terror attack.

Last week, NSW Premier Chris Minns confirmed his state would implement the scheme, administered by NSW Police. Administration costs will be split 50:50 with the federal government, while the state government will fully fund destruction costs for surrendered firearms.

From November 2, NSW will provide compensation to individuals for firearms above the new ownership limits and newly reclassified firearms, plus a flat fee for associated ammunition.

On Monday, NSW Treasurer Daniel Mookhey told ABC Radio National the principle behind the reforms should be uncontroversial.

“We have demonstrated since Port Arthur that if you reduce the number of guns in circulation, you reduce the prospects of gun violence. I don’t think that’s particularly controversial,” he said.

But his West Australia counterpart Rita Saffioti told the same program her state had “already undertaken” a similar program, referring to the state-funded Voluntary Firearms Buyback Scheme.

She described WA’s program – which ended in January this year – as “more significant’ than the federal government’s proposal.

South Australian Treasurer Tom Koutsantonis warned his state would only participate in a buyback scheme fully funded by the federal government.

“The John Howard buyback was fully funded by the commonwealth government, so they funded it in its entirety. This is a mix between state and federal governments,” Mr Koutsantonis said.

“We think we’ve got the mix right in South Australia. If the commonwealth want to do more in South Australia, they’re more than welcome to, but it won’t be done by the state government.”

Community Strong Australia MP Allegra Spender, whose Wentworth electorate includes Bondi, questioned the reluctance of states to participate in a scheme she described as an “opportunity” for the country to be safer.

“I think my community would genuinely welcome New South Wales getting on board with this but I think genuinely have questions why the other states won’t get on board as well,” Ms Spender told ABC AM.

“I know that the gun buybacks on their own won’t stop terrorism, won’t stop violent extremism, but we are a safer country because of actions to reduce gun ownership in previous governments, and this is an opportunity for us as a country to be safer and we should take it.”

Read the full article on PerthNow ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.perthnow.com.au — the content belongs to PerthNow.

More from PerthNow

See all ›

More in Australian News

See all ›