Friday 21 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇦🇺 AU ▾
BREAKING
Former Liberal MP condemns Coalition for backing gambling reforms that ‘let down’ vulnerable Australians ‘Vacation clubs’ are on the rise and young travellers love them Collingwood and Scott Pendlebury put contract call on hold until end of season Sydney Swans: AFLW captain Lucy McEvoy ‘incredibly dissapointed’ but says club is united ICAC Operation Rosny as it happened: Dallas McInerney sacked as Catholic Schools NSW CEO; former NSW police minister David Elliott says Jean Nassif followed him, threatened his career Nathan Lyon stares down axe for second Test against Bangladesh as Ricky Ponting puts Australian selectors on notice Trump and Kim's renewed bromance stirs new and old threats for Australia Python named Jodie Foster first snake to receive pioneering cancer treatment Anxiety over war, wildfires and cyber-attacks leads to growth in cash stocks in EU Kuniko unearths fresh NSW gold targets in Lachlan fold belt Former Liberal MP condemns Coalition for backing gambling reforms that ‘let down’ vulnerable Australians ‘Vacation clubs’ are on the rise and young travellers love them Collingwood and Scott Pendlebury put contract call on hold until end of season Sydney Swans: AFLW captain Lucy McEvoy ‘incredibly dissapointed’ but says club is united ICAC Operation Rosny as it happened: Dallas McInerney sacked as Catholic Schools NSW CEO; former NSW police minister David Elliott says Jean Nassif followed him, threatened his career Nathan Lyon stares down axe for second Test against Bangladesh as Ricky Ponting puts Australian selectors on notice Trump and Kim's renewed bromance stirs new and old threats for Australia Python named Jodie Foster first snake to receive pioneering cancer treatment Anxiety over war, wildfires and cyber-attacks leads to growth in cash stocks in EU Kuniko unearths fresh NSW gold targets in Lachlan fold belt
Australian News

Shaken captain declares 'no rift' at scandal-hit Swans

PerthNow ·
Shaken captain declares 'no rift' at scandal-hit Swans

Despite the crisis that has mangled their celebrated Bloods Culture, Sydney captain Callum Mills says there is no rift at the Swans.

An emotional and shaken Mills fronted the media on Friday alongside coach Dean Cox, five days after the scandal erupted from a Melbourne hotel room.

Five AFL teammates - Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, James Jordon and Riley Bice - have been suspended for the rest of the season for breaching club standards. There are sexual assault allegations and a police investigation is ongoing.

Earlier this week, club chairman Andrew Pridham bluntly acknowledged the suspensions had "torpedoed" their AFL premiership hopes this season.

In the midst of the unfolding debacle, on Sunday the Swans will have an historic double-header at the SCG featuring their AFL and AFLW teams.

"There's pain, there's sadness, there's disappointment. We're going to bind together to be better for this," Mills told reporters.

"We just take every day in its stride. Everyone's going to be feeling every different emotion, but we'll work together and we'll stay together.

Mills added he had spoken with teammates and had addressed the Swans AFLW team this week.

"I acknowledge their pain and I deeply ... I apologise for the actions of a few within our group," Mills said.

"We believe that the five players have let us down and we believe we'll be doing everything we possibly can to repay the respect and the trust of the community."

Mills urged fans to support the Swans on Sunday, especially the women's team.

"It's an historic weekend for our football club ... while this has overshadowed it, I think it's an incredible, powerful moment that we come together and we celebrate that moment of the AFLW program, out on the SCG," he said.

Mills said the time could come when the five suspended players front their teammates.

Meanwhile, he said football is secondary. He strongly back the suspensions and stressed his respect for all women.

Read the full article on PerthNow ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.perthnow.com.au — the content belongs to PerthNow.

This story in other outlets

More from PerthNow

See all ›

More in Australian News

See all ›