More than 100 guns confiscated in NSW domestic violence crackdown
A dizzying array of guns have been found in the hands of alleged domestic violence offenders after a NSW police crackdown resulted in more than 700 arrests over a three-day period.
More than 100 guns were seized by NSW Police during a three-day blitz as part of Operation Amarok, a statewide surge designed to “ensure the safety and wellbeing of domestic and family violence victims and the broader community”.
During the three-day operation between August 14 and 16, police arrested and charged 732 people, and identified 546 breaches of apprehended domestic violence orders.
Officers also seized 118 guns and 16 miscellaneous weapons, the majority of which were found during searches in regional NSW.
During one incident, police from the Southern Region Domestic Violence High Risk Offender team allegedly uncovered a WWII-era Lee Enfield rifle, a homemade short-barrelled rifle which had been converted into a handgun, and a gel blaster.
Small amounts of cannabis and crystal methamphetamine were also allegedly found.
The items were uncovered from a home in Sanctuary Point, and a 51-year-old man was charged with possessing an unregistered firearm, an unregistered pistol, unlawful possession of ammo and possession of prohibited drugs.
Other notable seizures include a crossbow and a pair of Glock pistols.
NSW Field Operations Deputy Commissioner Paul Pisanos said police receive domestic and family-violence calls “every three minutes” in NSW.
“Behind every call for help is a person experiencing fear and a family whose safety has been impacted,” he said.
“But domestic and family violence is not just a policing issue. It is a whole-of-society issue and while police play a role, we all need to work together to reduce the scourge.”
NSW Police Minister Yasmin Catley said the “fear and control” relied on by domestic violence offenders was being turned back on them by NSW Police.
“These are the results police deliver when we back them with the resources and support to crack down on offenders … this is the 14th Operation Amarok and our police are not slowing down,” she said.
Minister for Prevention of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Jodie Harrison said the numbers were “sobering” but they also ensured “many more victim-survivors are safer at home and in the community”.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.perthnow.com.au — the content belongs to PerthNow.