Trump announces pause on 50% tariffs on Canada, claims deal close
US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that 50% tariffs on Canada, scheduled to take effect Wednesday, had been paused for three days.
Canada and the United States had reached a deal, subject to the finalization of documents, Trump said in a post on Truth Social.
"I have paused the 50% Tariffs against Canada, that were scheduled to kick in tomorrow morning for a three day period, based on the fact that Canada and the U.S.A., subject to the finalization of documents, have a DEAL!" Trump wrote.
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney's office did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the deal.
According to the Office of the US Trade Representative, the proposed 50% tariffs would have affected roughly $20 billion worth of US imports from Canada.
Targeted goods included dairy products, alcohol and furniture.
The agreement followed several days of negotiations.
Carney and Trump held phone conversations on Monday and Tuesday amid the ongoing talks.
Carney described negotiations with the Trump administration as "very delicate and intense." (With input from agencies)
此摘要由5News从媒体的公开信息源汇聚而成。 包含完整背景的全文在www.cgtn.com — 内容归CGTN Politics (oficial)所有。