Saturday, 22 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇮🇳 IN ▾
BREAKING
Apple cuts jobs in Siri, Vision Pro immersive video, and gaming teams Starc rips through Bangladesh with five wickets in 22 balls How Starc completed his five-wicket haul in 22 balls Argument over phone leads to Hilltop tragedy in Maharashtra B’desh, India to explore fresh dates in Aug for Rahman’s visit Manu Rishi Chadha says he is getting 'love-filled hate' for playing Pervez Musharraf in Operation Safed Sagar ₹30 lakh salaried employee skipped ITR filing and faced a ₹3.74 lakh penalty, why Delhi ITAT deleted it MeitY set to notify portion of IT Rules for stricter compliances Allahabad HC restores jobs of 26 general-category engineers: 'Employees can't bear admin lapses' Two injured in Edmonton Gurdwara stabbing, accused held; Canada PM expresses shock Apple cuts jobs in Siri, Vision Pro immersive video, and gaming teams Starc rips through Bangladesh with five wickets in 22 balls How Starc completed his five-wicket haul in 22 balls Argument over phone leads to Hilltop tragedy in Maharashtra B’desh, India to explore fresh dates in Aug for Rahman’s visit Manu Rishi Chadha says he is getting 'love-filled hate' for playing Pervez Musharraf in Operation Safed Sagar ₹30 lakh salaried employee skipped ITR filing and faced a ₹3.74 lakh penalty, why Delhi ITAT deleted it MeitY set to notify portion of IT Rules for stricter compliances Allahabad HC restores jobs of 26 general-category engineers: 'Employees can't bear admin lapses' Two injured in Edmonton Gurdwara stabbing, accused held; Canada PM expresses shock
India News

Ahead of MHA-Ladakh talks in September, Centre’s outreach sees withdrawal of cases against Leh protestors

The Hindu - National ·
Ahead of MHA-Ladakh talks in September, Centre’s outreach sees withdrawal of cases against Leh protestors

Account subscription benefits alongside Premium Stories, Editorials, Opinions and more. Unlock these with Subscription

Four civilians were killed and around 90 people, including security personnel, were injured in 2025 as locals were agitating over the demands of Statehood and the Sixth Schedule. File | Photo Credit: Special arrangement

The Ladakh administration has started addressing the demands of the civil society groups of the region ahead of the Ministry of Home Affairs-level talks in New Delhi next month, as the authorities started reviewing the cases against alleged protestors for the September 24, 2025 violence.

“Cases against 25 individuals found to have had limited or no involvement would be withdrawn, with necessary closure proceedings undertaken in accordance with law. Charge sheets have been filed against nine persons in cases where evidence was available, and that the matter would remain subject to proceedings before the competent courts,” said Ladakh Chief Secretary Ashish Kundra, in a statement issued on Thursday (August 20, 2026).

He said 87 people were booked in connection with last year’s violence on September 24 in Leh. “The administration has identified cases where there is no major evidence. The FIR withdrawal and closure process will be taken up in court,” said Mr. Kundra.

Ladakh’s key civil society groups, including Leh Apex Body (LAB) and Kargil Democratic Alliance (KDA), earlier this week submitted a list of “non-negotiable” demands to the administration and insisted on the withdrawal of pending cases against locals, who were arrested after the September 2025 violence in Leh.

Four civilians were killed and around 90 people, including security personnel, were injured in 2025 as locals were agitating over the demands of Statehood and the Sixth Schedule.

The LAB, which is observing September this year as ‘Martyrs’ Month’, had threatened to revive agitation if the cases were not withdrawn against these locals. According to the LAB, “unarmed and innocent people were killed by opening fire from AK 47 without magisterial order in September last year”.

The civil society groups were also seeking compensation to those who died and left injured in the security forces’ action.

The withdrawal of cases is a major outreach to Ladakh by the Centre ahead of the formal round of talks scheduled for September between the civil society groups and the MHA over legislature and Article 371-like special provisions for the region.

Official sources said Ladakh Lieutenant Governor Vinai Kumar Saxena had met Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi on August 20 to discuss the “developments in Ladakh”.

Members of LAB, KDA and former Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC) leadership, recently held an informal meeting with the representatives of the MHA in Leh.

Mr. Kundar said the Administration was making efforts to schedule a formal meeting of the Ladakh Sub-Committee with the MHA in New Delhi by or before the second week of September “to discuss the demands and expectations placed before the Union Government and the broader framework being examined for Ladakh”.

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences.

Read the full article on The Hindu - National ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.thehindu.com — the content belongs to The Hindu - National.

More from The Hindu - National

See all ›

More in India News

See all ›