Ram Mandir donations row: Lawyers' body demands FIR against Champat Rai, Anil Mishra
Account subscription benefits alongside Premium Stories, Editorials, Opinions and more. Unlock these with Subscription
The Faizabad Bar Association on Saturday (August 22, 2026) warned of further agitation if a First Information Report (FIR) is not registered against former Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra Trust general secretary Champat Rai , former trustee Anil Mishra and temple official Gopal Rao in connection with alleged irregularities in handling of donations at the Ram Mandir.
At a general body meeting presided over by association president Kalika Prasad Mishra, lawyers alleged that the government and administration are protecting the three and giving them a clean chit. A delegation subsequently met Senior Superintendent of Police Gaurav Grover and demanded urgent action in the matter.
Kalika Prasad Mishra claimed those responsible for the alleged donation theft are being protected and said no case had been registered on the association's complaint naming Mr. Rai, Mr. Mishra and Mr. Rao as accused. He warned that the lawyers would continue their agitation until an FIR is registered.
The association had on June 29 resolved not to represent the eight persons arrested in the donation embezzlement case and impose a ₹5 lakh fine on any member violating the decision. It had also demanded that Mr. Rai, Mr. Mishra and Mr. Rao leave Ayodhya and warned of stronger action if they failed to comply.
Bar Association secretary Shailendra Jaiswal said the alleged theft of temple offerings had hurt the sentiments of lawyers and devotees. "The sentiments of all of us have been hurt by the theft of temple offerings. The lawyers of Faizabad have agreed not to plead on behalf of the arrested accused." The alleged embezzlement of Ram temple donations came to light in June, following which an FIR was registered on June 25 against eight accused. The case relates to alleged theft and misappropriation of cash and valuables offered by devotees at the temple.
The Faizabad Bar Association subsequently submitted a complaint seeking FIR against Mr. Rai, Mr. Mishra and Mr. Rao, alleging their involvement in the alleged embezzlement, and demanding a fair probe.
The controversy led to resignations of Mr. Rai and Mr. Mishra from their positions in the temple trust. The SIT, which investigated the case, later submitted its final report, which reportedly cleared Mr. Rai and Mr. Mishra of the donation-theft allegations.
Uttar Pradesh / Ayodhya / Ayodhya Ram Temple / Lucknow / state politics / politics / politics (general)
Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.
We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.thehindu.com — the content belongs to The Hindu - National.