Disparaging remarks against women are unacceptable, says Dravidar Kazhagam president K. Veeramani
Account subscription benefits alongside Premium Stories, Editorials, Opinions and more. Unlock these with Subscription
Regardless of who speaks disparagingly of women, it is unacceptable, stated Dravidar Kazhagam President K. Veeramani.
He spoke at a public meeting organised by the Dravidar Kazhagam in Sivaganga on Saturday.
Earlier, speaking to reporters, he stated: Previously, there was a condition that one had to have studied Sanskrit to join medical studies. Periyar, Panagal King, and others changed that.
“Currently, entrance examinations like NEET, CUET, and NEXT have been introduced. Students’ abilities should be assessed in schools. However, entrance exams conducted by those outside the system are evaluating them,” he criticised.
Multinational companies collect lakhs of rupees to provide coaching for entrance exams; Because of this, poor and oppressed students are affected, he added.
Various allegations of malpractice have been raised regarding the NEET exam. More than 100 students from Tamil Nadu and various other States have taken their lives. NEET should be cancelled, and strict action should be taken against those involved in malpractices, Mr. Veeramani observed.
“The political change that occurred in Tamil Nadu should be genuinely constructive. The change should not turn into a disappointment for the people. The government should be run as a government, not as a spectacle,” he remarked.
“To prevent those engaging in protests, they are even taking census of the administrators of the parties that supported them. They say the Chief Secretary is responsible for this. It must be known whether he acted on his own or whether the Chief Minister told him to do so”, he added.
The Legislative Assembly should be a place to debate people’s problems and constructive ideas. Mutual recrimination or personal attacks cannot be accepted, he said.
Since Legislative Assembly proceedings are broadcast live, unnecessary comments spoken there, even if expunged from the records, spread on social media. Therefore, both the ruling and opposition parties must act responsibly.
“Dignity must be maintained in speech and freedom of expression. Personal attacks, family issues, and anyone speaking disparagingly of women cannot be accepted,” he said.
Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.
We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.thehindu.com — the content belongs to The Hindu.