Three packages of Sanganoor Canal revamp await State government approval
Account subscription benefits alongside Premium Stories, Editorials, Opinions and more. Unlock these with Subscription
The completed stretch of the Sanganoor Canal revamp project near Rathinapuri in Coimbatore on Saturday. | Photo Credit: SIVA SARAVANAN S.
The Sanganoor Canal revamp project, planned to create an alternative road corridor across Coimbatore city, has hit a roadblock, with the three packages beyond the first awaiting approval for a proposed ₹294-crore investment.
The Coimbatore Corporation has proposed developing about 6.5 km of the corridor from Rathinapuri to Trichy Road through the three packages. The proposal has been submitted to the State government, but officials are not hopeful of an early sanction, citing the cost involved.
The first package, taken up in November 2021 at an estimated cost of ₹49 crore, covers 2.5 km from Mettupalayam Road to Rathinapuri. It includes strengthening the canal banks, constructing retaining and gabion walls, desilting the canal and forming roads along both sides.
According to officials, the retaining walls have been completed and road work is nearing completion. The full stretch is yet to be opened to traffic, however, as some families occupying encroached portions are awaiting alternative accommodation.
The work was suspended in August 2022 owing to difficulties in relocating residents along the canal and resumed in June 2023 after modifications to the plan. Roads were laid in stretches where encroachments had been removed, while the remaining portions are dependent on rehabilitation and clearance.
The three packages awaiting approval cover the stretches from Rathinapuri to Sathyamangalam Road, Sathyamangalam Road to Avinashi Road, and Avinashi Road to Trichy Road.
A senior Corporation official said the proposal involved land acquisition, road construction and rehabilitation of encroachers. The official attributed the increase in the estimate to higher construction material costs and other expenses.
“The proposal has been submitted to the State government. We will, however, proceed with commissioning the first package as the work is nearing completion,” the official said.
Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.
We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.thehindu.com — the content belongs to The Hindu.