U.S. acting spy chief announces new round of staff reductions
Account subscription benefits alongside Premium Stories, Editorials, Opinions and more. Unlock these with Subscription
Acting U.S. Director of National Intelligence, Bill Pulte. File. | Photo Credit: Reuters
Acting U.S. Director of National Intelligence Bill Pulte announced a third round of staff reductions on Friday (July 10, 2026) after being urged by President Donald Trump in recent weeks to shrink the agency’s ranks.
“U.S. National Intelligence is operating more efficiently and effectively than ever before, and today, we started a third round of reducing redundant, or non-critical, personnel,” Mr. Pulte said in a statement on X.
It did not provide the number of roles or personnel that were being terminated.
Since taking office early last year, the Trump administration has attempted to remake U.S. agencies and institutions by installing Trump loyalists and cracking down on dissent.
The Trump administration has gutted agencies in the name of tackling wasteful spending and fraud, but political experts have warned that the effort has led to elimination of vital roles across government bodies.
Mr. Pulte, an ally of Mr. Trump, has no prior national security experience, causing Mr. Trump to face a political backlash after the Republican leader’s loyalist was picked to fill the role temporarily.
Mr. Pulte’s appointment had raised concerns even among some Republicans that he would “weaponise” intelligence against Trump’s perceived political foes.
Reuters reported last month that staff at the office of the top U.S. spy were told by managers to expect extensive cuts in the coming months following comments by Mr. Trump that he wants the interim director to shrink the agency’s ranks.
The nomination hearing for Jay Clayton, Mr. Trump’s nominee to serve as the next U.S. director of national intelligence to lead the nation’s 18 intelligence agencies, is scheduled for July 15.
Former Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard left office on June 19.
Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.
We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.thehindu.com — the content belongs to The Hindu - International.