Monday, 17 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇬🇧 UK ▾
BREAKING
Latest

Stag shot dead after man injured during a picnic in Richmond Park

Evening Standard ·
Stag shot dead after man injured during a picnic in Richmond Park

A stag has been put down after it was deemed a “danger to visitors” following an incident that left a man in his 60s injured while picnicking in a London park.

Police were called by the London Ambulance Service shortly before 6.30pm on Saturday following reports that a man had been injured by a stag in Richmond Park .

The man, who is in his 60s, was taken to hospital, where his injuries were assessed as neither life-threatening nor life-changing, police said.

The Royal Parks said the stag had approached the man, who was part of a group having a picnic, in search of food.

Following the incident, the animal’s behaviour was considered to pose a danger to other visitors and the decision was taken to put it down.

The stag was shot by a Royal Parks wildlife officer, the charity said.

The incident comes after repeated warnings from the Royal Parks urging visitors not to approach, touch or feed deer , stressing that the animals are wild and can be dangerous.

The warnings were stepped up in recent months after footage emerged showing people attempting to feed and stroke deer in London’s parks.

The Royal Parks has previously warned that such interactions could lead to a “fatal incident”, urging visitors to keep their distance from the animals.

Stags can weigh over 25 stone or 160kg and reach speeds of up to 30mph. They are powerful animals capable of causing serious injuries.

Visitors are told to maintain at least a 50-metre distance from the deer, which roam freely around the Park, at all times.

Extra caution is needed especially during birthing season (between May and July) when mothers become extremely protective of their fawns and rutting season (between September and November) when stags clash and are highly aggressive.

Mayfair restaurant's licence suspended after 'man's throat slashed in attack'

A spokesperson for Royal Parks said on Monday: “We understand from the police that thankfully the injuries were not life-threatening.

Read the full article on Evening Standard ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.standard.co.uk — the content belongs to Evening Standard.

This story in other outlets

More from Evening Standard

See all ›

More in Latest

See all ›