Hadjar hopeful of Italian GP return after wrist injury
Isack Hadjar and Red Bull are hopeful the Frenchman will be back in the car at the next Formula 1 race in Italy; watch Dutch Grand Prix practice live on Sky Sports F1 at 11.30am on Friday, with Sprint Qualifying following at 3.30pm
Isack Hadjar is hopeful he can return for the next Formula 1 race after a wrist injury forced him to miss this weekend's Dutch Grand Prix.
Hadjar suffered the injury while boxing in training during the summer break earlier this month and will be replaced by Liam Lawson, who becomes the first driver to race again for Red Bull having previously being dropped by the team.
Yuki Tsunoda will take over Lawson's seat at Racing Bulls alongside full-time driver Arvid Lindblad.
Sky Sports News understands Hadjar suffered a small crack in a bone in his wrist late last week in a routine workout before discussions with Red Bull medical staff led to the decision to miss the Sprint weekend at Zandvoort to allow more time for recovery before the next race at Monza.
Hadjar is at the track this weekend at Zandvoort to support Lawson and is hopeful of a return at the Italian Grand Prix, which takes place on September 4-6.
Lawson was dropped from Red Bull after two disappointing races last year but did enough over the remainder of the 2025 season at Racing Bulls to retain his seat for this year.
The 24-year-old has been one of the stars in the midfield this season with eight points finishes and sits ninth in the Drivers' Championship - only behind the Mercedes, McLaren, Ferrari and Red Bull drivers.
"I've had a lot more races since then [being dropped from Red Bull]. I feel much more comfortable racing in this sport, but it's going to be a very challenging weekend, for sure," said Lawson.
"It's a Sprint weekend, so it's going to be a quick learning process. But that's what we're focused on, that's what we tried to do in the simulator. If we can try and speed up that learning process as much as possible, then that would help our weekend."
Tsunoda has been watching from the sidelines this year and has an opportunity to impress to find a seat on the grid in 2027, albeit his options appear to be limited following the recent re-signings of Verstappen at Red Bull plus Carlos Sainz and Alex Albon at Williams.
The Japanese driver revealed he was on holiday in Greece before getting a call on Tuesday to get ready to drive for Racing Bulls.
"When I heard, I was like half excited, half still doubtful because anything can happen, but I was super excited too," he said.
"It was all confirmed that I'm racing this weekend. I'm super excited and physically I'm feeling ready. I've done a couple of TPCs [Testing of Previous Cars]. It will be my first time in this car but still, I'm very excited.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.skysports.com — the content belongs to Sky Sports Football.