Wednesday, 19 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇬🇧 UK ▾
BREAKING
Sports

'Have they brought value?!' - McIlroy warns of 'tough road back' for LIV stars

Sky Sports Football ·
'Have they brought value?!' - McIlroy warns of 'tough road back' for LIV stars

Rory McIlroy and Scottie Scheffler were asked ahead of the BMW Championship about the possibility of LIV Golf players returning to the PGA Tour; watch the BMW Championship throughout the week live on Sky Sports Golf

Rory McIlroy has warned that it could be a ‘tough road back’ for LIV Golf players wanting to return to the PGA Tour and has questioned the value they would offer.

The LIV Golf League faces an uncertain future, with the Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF) confirming earlier this year they wouldn't fund the circuit beyond 2026 and the season-ending Team Championship in Michigan cancelled .

LIV Golf chief executive Scott O'Neil has previously outlined the circuit is 'building the next chapter' and has an unnamed lead investor to try and keep the league running , although many players are understood to be weighing up their options.

Brooks Koepka was allowed back via the Returning Member Program in February and Patrick Reed is eligible to feature from September, while Jon Rahm and Bryson DeChambeau are among the high-profile players linked with PGA Tour returns.

When asked whether LIV Golf players should be allowed to return to the PGA Tour, McIlroy said ahead of the BMW Championship: "I would argue, have they brought value to LIV? I think the PGA Tour's in a really good spot."

McIlroy added: "Look, eventually they will [be welcomed back]. I'm not part of these discussions, but I'm pretty sure they're not going to be welcomed back straight away.

"If they were offered this returning member program back in February, the one that Brooks [Koepka] took, then yeah, maybe, but that has come and gone.

"I think it was said at the time that the deal that they might get going forward, if they do decide to come back, isn't going to be as good as the one that Brooks got. I would say it's going to be a tough, tough road back."

LIV Golf remain hopeful that their 2027 schedule can feature five marquee Team Championships across five continents, with five team Signature Events positioned around majors, although McIlroy believes the PGA Tour remains the circuit for the world's best to play.

"I think I feel like I've kept my position consistent that LIV has never been a good thing for the game," McIlroy explained. "Whatever 2.0 looks like, if it even happens, they say they're trying to be more collaborative and all that.

"This [PGA Tour] is the best platform for the top professional golfers in the world. Were there some things at the start of LIV that the PGA Tour could have done better? Sure.

"You think back to the start with say, Phil [Mickelson] unhappy with some stuff or whatever it was. Surely that just warranted a conversation instead of blowing the entire professional game up and doing something else?

"I don't take any personal satisfaction of people losing jobs - that doesn't seem right. I've always felt like this is the best place to play professional golf. I'm pretty sure if the PGA Tour were handed six billion dollars it would have done a better job with it."

Read the full article on Sky Sports Football ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.skysports.com — the content belongs to Sky Sports Football.

More from Sky Sports Football

See all ›

More in Sports

See all ›