Friday, 21 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇬🇧 UK ▾
BREAKING
UK News

Body found in major search for man who fell overboard from cruise ship

The Independent UK News ·
Body found in major search for man who fell overboard from cruise ship

A major search operation has been launched after reports a man went overboard from a cruise ship near Scotland .

The MS Ambition cruise ship was on its way from Lerwick to Dundee when the alarm was raised after a guest was found to be missing, cruise operator Ambassador said in a statement. A major search and rescue operation by HM coastguard is now underway.

Police Scotland confirmed it received a report a man had gone overboard from a cruise ship in the North Sea, around 40 nautical miles from Anstruther, Fife, at around 8.55am on Friday.

The passenger is understood to have been travelling as part of the 2026 Solar Eclipse Cruise.

In a statement posted on social media, Ambassador Cruise Line said: “We can confirm that the Captain of Ambition reported a missing person incident earlier this morning.

“The ship, which is now berthed in Dundee, was on passage from Lerwick to Dundee when the alarm was raised after it was found that a guest was not where they were expected to be. Guests on board have been kept informed of developments by the Captain and a thorough ship-wide search was carried out on arrival in Dundee.

“Having initially been asked to remain on board while the search was carried out, guests have now been cleared to disembark. Ambassador follows stringent search and rescue protocols in line with international maritime safety standards. We continue to work in close collaboration with the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC), The Maritime and Coastguard Agency, HM Coastguard and Police Scotland as the investigation continues.”

The cruise line said it would not comment further due to an ongoing police investigation.

In a statement, Police Scotland said: “Around 8.55am on Friday, 21 August, 2026, police received a report a man had gone overboard from a cruise ship in the North Sea, 40 nautical miles from Anstruther, Fife.

“A search and rescue operation is currently being carried out by HM Coastguard, but the man remains missing. His next of kin is aware.

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Read the full article on The Independent UK News ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.independent.co.uk — the content belongs to The Independent UK News.

This story in other outlets

More from The Independent UK News

See all ›

More in UK News

See all ›