Iran-US war latest: Tehran warns of ‘earthquake-like’ retaliation over Trump’s ‘economic D-Day’ threats
Iran’s security chief Mohsen Rezaei has threatened “earthquake-like” retaliation should US president Donald Trump take any further action.
Tehran has also cautioned its Gulf neighbours against joining Donald Trump’s “economic D-Day” sanctions after the US said it would look to hit Iran’s financial interests.
Should Trump "take action, our confrontation will be like an earthquake," Rezaei said.
He added: “If the countries surrounding Iran join the Americans in their economic war, not a drop of oil will leave the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz, and we will also target other oil export routes from the Persian Gulf.”
Trump has promised to wage "Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale” on Iran in what he called the “toughest sanctions in history”. In response, Tehran accused Trump of threatening “economic terrorism”.
Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei on Saturday said that the imminent US announcement of new economic sanctions on Iran was an "assertion of extraterritorial sovereignty over every independent member state of the United Nations".
Chile will shutter its embassy in Iran by the end of August but will not sever its diplomatic ties with Tehran, the Chilean foreign ministry said.
The ministry said the reshuffle was aimed at streamlining diplomatic resources while protecting diplomats as instability continues to grip the Middle East.
Iran’s security chief Mohsen Rezaei has threatened “earthquake-like” retaliation should US president Donald Trump take any further action.
Trump said earlier this week that he would impose a "most crushing economic operation" against Tehran as the war nears its six-month anniversary.
Should Trump "take action, our confrontation will be like an earthquake," said Rezaei.
Poland's foreign ministry has summoned Israel's ambassador in Warsaw, expressing that it was "very disappointed" after Israel decided against pursuing criminal proceedings over a 2024 attack on a volunteer convoy in Gaza that killed a Polish citizen.
Damian Sobol, a volunteer from Przemysl in southeastern Poland, was among seven individuals working for celebrity chef Jose Andres' World Central Kitchen who died in the April 2024 central Gaza airstrike, an incident that prompted an international outcry.
• US president Donald Trump has issued another economic threat against Iran, vowing “TREMENDOUS Economic Consequences” for any country that trades with Tehran
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.independent.co.uk — the content belongs to The Independent World.