Sunday, 23 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇿🇦 ZA ▾
BREAKING
Sports

Two arrested in connection with boxer Zolani Tete’s murder

SABC News Sport ·
Two arrested in connection with boxer Zolani Tete’s murder

Two persons of interest have been apprehended by the police in KuGompo City, the Eastern Cape, in connection with the murder of Zolani Tete.

The former world champion boxer was shot dead in Mdantsane on Friday night .

Police spokesperson Nobuntu Gantana, says the two men aged 30 and 22 were apprehended on Saturday in KuGompo City after an intelligence-driven operation by multiple law enforcement units.

Gantana says the police are unable to furnish any further information due to the sensitive nature of the investigation.

Meanwhile, Tete’s father says he is heartbroken.

Zolile Tete says his son wanted to do so much more and that the Tete family is devastated by his untimely death .

“He was a hard worker.

That is why I’m so worried.

He had intentions to do things that he said he will do here at home.

Zolani … I’m old; they should’ve killed me instead, because I’m old and let Zolani stay, so he can bury me,” laments the father. #sapsEC [SAPS WARNS PUBLIC AGAINST FALSE ARREST RUMOURS IN ZOLANI TETE MURDER INVESTIGATION] The #SAPS has confirmed the identity of the 38yr-old man who was fatally shot at NU 17, Mdantsane, on 21/08 at approximately 18:30 as well-known boxer Zolani Tete.

His next-of-kin have… pic.twitter.com/sR0PmIRxyO — SA Police Service (@SAPoliceService) August 22, 2026 VIDEO | Police say they received a tip-off earlier on Saturday regarding Zolani Tete’s murder:

Read the full article on SABC News Sport ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.sabcnews.com — the content belongs to SABC News Sport.

This story in other outlets

More from SABC News Sport

See all ›

More in Sports

See all ›