Tuesday, 18 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇿🇦 ZA ▾
BREAKING
RECYCLING ECONOMY: Unemployed rural women turning cans into cash as hunger bites Celebrating 10 years with production of the Lion King Boks hash out rules of engagement before All Blacks clash #CancelCoal: SCA to hear government appeal over 1 500MW new coal plan Millions of Africans are displaced without crossing a border – and their needs are often overlooked The soil’s early warning system: microbes can predict desertification before plants start to die Migrant women tell of sexual harassment in Spain’s crisis-hit Ceuta What happened when a South African school switched from English to bilingual science tests Parties have mixed views on new NW Legislature Speaker Trump says no talks are taking place with Iran and none are scheduled RECYCLING ECONOMY: Unemployed rural women turning cans into cash as hunger bites Celebrating 10 years with production of the Lion King Boks hash out rules of engagement before All Blacks clash #CancelCoal: SCA to hear government appeal over 1 500MW new coal plan Millions of Africans are displaced without crossing a border – and their needs are often overlooked The soil’s early warning system: microbes can predict desertification before plants start to die Migrant women tell of sexual harassment in Spain’s crisis-hit Ceuta What happened when a South African school switched from English to bilingual science tests Parties have mixed views on new NW Legislature Speaker Trump says no talks are taking place with Iran and none are scheduled
Latest

Congo Ebola outbreak can still be under control in 3 months: WHO

SABC News ·

Hope remains that it will be possible to bring under control an Ebola outbreak in Congo that is currently outpacing containment efforts, a World Health Organization official said on Tuesday.

The global health agency said earlier this month that reversing Ebola’s spread would be possible within a three-month period but since then there have been signs that it has worsened, spreading to a sixth province.

“About the next plan for the three months, yes, if you have the necessary resources, I think it will be possible to do that,” Dr.

Thierno Balde, WHO incident manager, told reporters by video link from Bunia in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Earlier it was reported that the outbreak in Congo has killed 2 325 people, surpassing the toll from the 2018-2020 outbreak to become the deadliest in the country’s history.

DRC’s public health ​institute said in its latest report that confirmed cases had risen to 4 945, including 101 new ‌cases detected in the previous 24 hours.

The outbreak, the central African country’s 17th, was already the biggest in the country’s history in terms of number of cases, a milestone reached in late July.

Read the full article on SABC News ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.sabcnews.com — the content belongs to SABC News.

This story in other outlets

More from SABC News

See all ›

More in Latest

See all ›