Thursday, 20 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇿🇦 ZA ▾
BREAKING
AFTER THE BELL: How long will King Coal continue to glitter? Ramaphosa launches Phase 3 Government/Business partnership — 3% growth goal remains elusive ‘You go back to basics.’ What it takes to beat the All Blacks BATTLE LINES: Talking time over as Boks and All Blacks reveal powerful lineups for first Test ANALYSIS: Ten questions DA finance boss Mark Burke must answer from Sarb’s R4bn probe ruling Watch — Manifesto test: DA’s local government plan eyes the private sector, devolving policing GROUNDUP: Families living in Joburg stadium trapped among rubbish and rats Cardoso demands more from Sundowns in MTN8 trophy chase LISTEN | Pupil banned from school after initiation rite Govender brothers’ murder trial adjourned to May 2027 AFTER THE BELL: How long will King Coal continue to glitter? Ramaphosa launches Phase 3 Government/Business partnership — 3% growth goal remains elusive ‘You go back to basics.’ What it takes to beat the All Blacks BATTLE LINES: Talking time over as Boks and All Blacks reveal powerful lineups for first Test ANALYSIS: Ten questions DA finance boss Mark Burke must answer from Sarb’s R4bn probe ruling Watch — Manifesto test: DA’s local government plan eyes the private sector, devolving policing GROUNDUP: Families living in Joburg stadium trapped among rubbish and rats Cardoso demands more from Sundowns in MTN8 trophy chase LISTEN | Pupil banned from school after initiation rite Govender brothers’ murder trial adjourned to May 2027
South African News

US targets Hezbollah with fresh sanctions

Sowetan ·
US targets Hezbollah with fresh sanctions

The US will imminently issue fresh sanctions targeting Lebanon’s Hezbollah, including re-designating it under a terrorism authority, according to a statement, in a move aimed at emphasising its links to the Iranian government.

While Hezbollah is not being designated under any new authority, the Treasury Department is re-designating it as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist “for service to the Iranian regime under the command of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Qods Force”, according to the statement.

A US official said that the re-designation was intended to show that Hezbollah was acting on behalf of the Iranian government and updated the public record to link the designation to Hezbollah’s actions on behalf of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Qods Force.

Hezbollah was first designated under the authority in 2001 and is also sanctioned by the US as a Foreign Terrorist Organisation. The US also designated a group of 10 people on Thursday that it accused of smuggling cash for Hezbollah.

The US official said that the measures to be taken were separate to further action the US plans to take against Iran, as Washington looks to resolve a war it began alongside Israel nearly six ​months ago.

Treasury secretary Scott Bessent said earlier on Thursday that he would hold a press conference on Monday about “the toughest sanctions in history” that Washington plans to impose on Iran.

Read the full article on Sowetan ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.sowetanlive.co.za — the content belongs to Sowetan.

This story in other outlets

More from Sowetan

See all ›

More in South African News

See all ›