Monday 17 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇦🇺 AU ▾
BREAKING
Father hopes for daughter's safe return as search for missing teenager enters fifth day Swans players involved in alleged incident, club confirms Australia politics live: Greens senator accuses Labor of backing gas industry and billionaires over ‘disabled people and our families’ Amy Lee shares healthier twist on viral Dubai chocolate trend 'A joke': Aussie convert explains switch from Kiwis Sydney Swans release statement after players involved in alleged police incident after AFL clash in Melbourne Demons appeal forward's ban ahead of finals Sydney Swans issue statement after ‘several players’ involved in alleged incident at team hotel Sydney Airport has had three close calls in as many weeks. The first big problem is clear Piastri and Norris harmony ‘wasn’t a given’ after title scrap, says boss Father hopes for daughter's safe return as search for missing teenager enters fifth day Swans players involved in alleged incident, club confirms Australia politics live: Greens senator accuses Labor of backing gas industry and billionaires over ‘disabled people and our families’ Amy Lee shares healthier twist on viral Dubai chocolate trend 'A joke': Aussie convert explains switch from Kiwis Sydney Swans release statement after players involved in alleged police incident after AFL clash in Melbourne Demons appeal forward's ban ahead of finals Sydney Swans issue statement after ‘several players’ involved in alleged incident at team hotel Sydney Airport has had three close calls in as many weeks. The first big problem is clear Piastri and Norris harmony ‘wasn’t a given’ after title scrap, says boss
Australian News

Peter paid $2.1m for a Sydney substation. A council error has cost him $800,000

Brisbane Times ·
Peter paid $2.1m for a Sydney substation. A council error has cost him $800,000

An inner west property owner says an error by his local council has left him facing financial ruin after he purchased a historic Newtown electricity substation that was incorrectly listed in official planning documents as free from heritage constraints.

When Peter Mistrevski bought the decommissioned 1931 brick substation on Probert Street in July last year, he believed he had found a rare foothold in Sydney’s property market and an opportunity to convert the site into two homes, living in one and selling the other.

Before committing to the purchase, Mistrevski obtained a planning certificate from Inner West Council in March 2025 stating the property was not a heritage item, was not within a heritage conservation area and could be redeveloped under the complying development pathway, avoiding the need for a full development application.

He said he relied on that certificate, seen by this publication, having it reviewed by his lawyer, architect and town planner as part of his pre-purchase due diligence. He bought the property for $2.1 million at auction.

“I got all the right advice. The planning certificate showed it wasn’t heritage, my town planner and architect looked at it, so I was full steam ahead,” Mistrevski said.

But shortly after dotted lines on contracts were signed, a second planning certificate issued by the council in October 2025 identified the property as a heritage-listed building located within a heritage conservation area that could not be redesigned or developed under the same complying development pathway Mistrevski had planned to pursue.

The listing effectively halted the proposed development and plunged the site into planning and legal uncertainty which Mistrevski says is now costing him $12,000 a month in holding fees, while an independent valuation has put the property at $1.3 million – $800,000 below what he paid.

“The council made a massive mistake on an official document which I relied on to buy the property,” he said.

“I’m now unable to touch the property, modify it, I can’t live in it. It’s sending me bankrupt and [every] dollar I make is going towards the mortgage to keep the bank from repossessing it.

The dispute is particularly fraught due to the former utility building’s history, with records showing it was constructed in 1931 during a period when substations were built across Sydney to power homes and businesses as the city grew.

In recent years, decommissioned substations have attracted renewed interest from buyers seeking redevelopment opportunities in land-constrained parts of the city, with some small sites selling for more than $2 million despite the planning complexities they can present.

Mistrevski said the heritage listing forced him to redesign his original proposal.

Read the full article on Brisbane Times ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.brisbanetimes.com.au — the content belongs to Brisbane Times.

More from Brisbane Times

See all ›

More in Australian News

See all ›