Iran's President says U.S. memorandum is best path out of stalled war
Account subscription benefits alongside Premium Stories, Editorials, Opinions and more. Unlock these with Subscription
Iran's President Masoud Pezeshkian defended a memorandum of understanding with the United States as the best way out of a stalled war.
Meanwhile, the new head of the Islamic Republic's top security body warned, in a more forceful tone, of retaliation if neighbouring countries support U.S. threats to further sanction Tehran.
A Palestinian man was beaten by an Israeli settler outside his home, and Israel's military said they were pursuing a stabbing suspect in a separate attack, the latest violence in the occupied West Bank. An Israeli airstrike in Gaza killed a child, according to a local hospital.
Here's a look at the latest developments in the Iran war and the wider West Asia on Sunday (August 23, 2026). Full coverage can be found here.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian defended a recent memorandum of understanding as the best way for the country to move beyond what he described as a situation of “neither war nor peace.” “There is not a single provision in this agreement that amounts to capitulation,” Mr. Pezeshkian said in a speech published by state-run IRNA early on Sunday (August 23). “The supreme leader sets the policies, and we will follow that path.” The deal known as the Memorandum of Understanding that U.S. President Donald Trump signed in June set a 60-day deadline for ending the war with Iran and reaching an accord on its nuclear program. That period ended last week, but no signs of compromise have emerged, especially on the crucial issue of reopening the Strait of Hormuz, vital to global shipping.
Mr. Pezeshkian also linked the agreement to Iran's economic prospects, saying the country couldn't attract investment in this stalled phase.
Nearly six months into the war with the United States and Israel, Iran's economy is suffering under sanctions and a naval blockade.
The judiciary's Mizan news agency reported on Sunday (August 23) the latest execution connected to the protests, identifying the man as Majid Adineh and saying he was arrested on January 9 in Mohammadshahr, near Karaj, west of Tehran. Authorities said that he was carrying a handgun with 30 rounds of ammunition, two stun guns, two cans of tear gas and a battery-powered chainsaw.
The judiciary said that forensic examinations indicated the handgun had been fired on January 8 and 9. Mizan said Adineh had joined the unrest following calls by groups opposed to Iran's government and alleged that he had received training from groups outside the country.
A Revolutionary Court in Karaj later convicted Adineh under Iran's law imposing harsher penalties for espionage and cooperation with hostile states. Mizan said that the verdict accused him of carrying out operations on behalf of Israel, the United States and other groups Iran considers hostile.
Four-year-old Mohammed Taha died after an Israeli airstrike hit a house in central Gaza on Sunday (August 23), hospital authorities said.
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.thehindu.com — the content belongs to The Hindu - International.