Monday, 17 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇮🇳 IN ▾
BREAKING
Seven dead in stampede in Bihar’s Ashok Dham temple A list of major stampedes in India CSK advised to ‘fix MS Dhoni arrangement’ first before appointing next head coach: ‘Don’t need anyone from outside' MDR on UPI payments: Six rules govt must settle before charges can start New Zealand domestic season to kick off on October 28 with Ford Trophy opener Gold or silver in 2026? Tata MF says keep 70% in gold, 30% in silver IND vs SL, 1st Test Day 3: India battle rain for crucial result MCD sanitation worker killed; waste collection vehicles to stay off roads Salman Khan's ex Somy Ali defends Govinda amid Sunita Ahuja’s cheating allegations: ‘Age should never become a weapon’ Hayden Panettiere dies at 36: Raising Helen star's rep announces ‘tragic passing’ Seven dead in stampede in Bihar’s Ashok Dham temple A list of major stampedes in India CSK advised to ‘fix MS Dhoni arrangement’ first before appointing next head coach: ‘Don’t need anyone from outside' MDR on UPI payments: Six rules govt must settle before charges can start New Zealand domestic season to kick off on October 28 with Ford Trophy opener Gold or silver in 2026? Tata MF says keep 70% in gold, 30% in silver IND vs SL, 1st Test Day 3: India battle rain for crucial result MCD sanitation worker killed; waste collection vehicles to stay off roads Salman Khan's ex Somy Ali defends Govinda amid Sunita Ahuja’s cheating allegations: ‘Age should never become a weapon’ Hayden Panettiere dies at 36: Raising Helen star's rep announces ‘tragic passing’
Business

Indonesia earthquake death toll rises to 53 as rescue operations continue

Business Standard ·

A day after a 7.7 magnitude earthquake jolted eastern Indonesia, rescue teams recovered six more bodies Sunday, raising the death toll to 53, while many of the thousands displaced spent the night outdoors in fear of aftershocks.

Rescuers dug through debris looking for anyone buried beneath landslides triggered by the quake across six regencies on Flores, a predominantly Catholic island in the Muslim-majority country.

They focused on three regencies that remained inaccessible -- hardest-hit Manggarai, East Manggarai and Nagekeo.

"We have cleared most landslides and reopened roads to previously isolated villages, although communication disruptions and power outages continue to hamper search efforts," said Fathur Rahman, head of the search-and-rescue office in Maumere, the capital of Sikka regency.

More than 900 homes were destroyed and 450 more damaged in East Nusa Tenggara province, forcing about 5,000 people into temporary shelters.

At least 241 homes were damaged in the Flores regi

Read the full article on Business Standard ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.business-standard.com — the content belongs to Business Standard.

This story in other outlets

More from Business Standard

See all ›

More in Business

See all ›