Friday, 21 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇬🇧 UK ▾
BREAKING
Sports

Four players could miss Arsenal vs Coventry as injury blows already confirmed

The Mirror Football ·
Four players could miss Arsenal vs Coventry as injury blows already confirmed

Mikel Arteta is sweating on the fitness of Bruno Guimaraes heading into tonight’s game against Coventry City. Arsenal begin the defence of their Premier League title against Frank Lampard ’s side at the Emirates Stadium.

Guimaraes, who joined the Gunners from Newcastle United earlier this month, was forced off during the Community Shield victory over Manchester City last weekend. And speaking on Thursday afternoon, Arteta admitted: "Let's see how it is, it's evolving well, but let's see for tomorrow."

However, Arteta will be without defenders William Saliba and Jurrien Timber. Saliba is continuing his rehabilitation from a back injury sustained at the World Cup, while Timber remains sidelined with a long-term groin problem.

“No, I said in the next few weeks,” Arteta said on Thursday when asked if Timber can join team training this week. “He's not training with the group yet.”

But there was better news for Gunners supporters, with Arteta confirming that Declan Rice and Bukayo Saka are fit to start against the Sky Blues. The Arsenal boss said: “Yes, they're ready to be involved, yes.”

While Frank Lampard confirmed on Thursday that Coventry will be without striker Haji Wright for the games against the Gunners. Wright was Coventry’s top scorer last season, scoring 17 times as his side won the Sky Bet Championship.

The striker has been absent from recent friendly matches against RCD Espanyol and AS Monaco. And Lampard admitted his star man could be out for as long as 12 weeks. He said: “Haji Wright won’t be available for the Arsenal game.

“He won’t be available for a little while, he’s got a very serious quad injury which is disappointing for Haji and for us. It’s certainly going to be a number of weeks, could even be up to 12 weeks.”

Lampard, though, did confirm that both Ephron Mason-Clark and Jack Rudoni will be in contention to feature at the Emirates after they missed games in pre-season.

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK! Latest news, analysis and much more on Mirror Football's Facebook page

The Coventry boss also admitted his side need to be ready for “tougher times” this season ahead of their Premier League curtain-raiser. He said: “We will go through tougher times this year for sure because of the competition we’re up against now so we’ll need resilience in moments calmness in moments.

“An important part of my role is to have that balance and through having a long playing career through having a managerial career where I’ve had some really great moments and some difficult moments.

“But as a club we will need to stick together in those moments but I want to sound like I’m being too negative before something’s happened. It’s just a reality that we need to be ready for.

“Second spell at Chelsea wasn’t great for me, for a PR point. But having been through the challenges for good and for bad in my managerial career I think it puts me in a better spot to deal with – don’t get too high, don’t get too low – continue and focus on your.”

Read the full article on The Mirror Football ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.mirror.co.uk — the content belongs to The Mirror Football.

More from The Mirror Football

See all ›

More in Sports

See all ›