The Supreme Court Let Trump’s Ballroom Proceed—for Now. Here’s What That Means
Artist renderings relating to White House Ballroom construction, contained in a filing by the Trump Administration to the U.S.
Supreme Court, are shown on Aug.
14, 2026. —Jon Elswick—AP The U.S.
Supreme Court has allowed President Donald Trump to continue construction on a new White House ballroom with a temporary stay issued Friday—just before the aboveground portion of the project was about to be halted.
Chief Justice John Roberts, in a one-sentence order , stayed a federal district court judge’s injunction that barred further development.
The move gives the full Supreme Court more time to consider the Trump Administration’s request to keep the injunction on hold while it seeks further review.
However, there is no established timeline for when Roberts or the Court might take further action.
The ruling comes after months of debate over a legal challenge brought by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which argues that a President cannot unilaterally make a major, permanent change to federally owned property when Congress has not authorized it, pointing toward the Property Clause of the Constitution.
“We reiterated that the Administration has no unilateral legal authority—constitutional, statutory, or otherwise—to build a Ballroom on the site of the now-demolished East Wing, unless and until Congress expressly approves,” the National Trust for Historic Preservation said in a statement last week.
“Each court that has reviewed this case has agreed with the National Trust.
We hope the Supreme Court will uphold the rule of law by stopping this illegal project.” TIME has reached out to the National Trust for comment on the latest development.
Read More: What to Know About Trump’s Aide Natalie Harp Trump reacted to the administrative stay on Truth Social on Friday, praising both the Supreme Court and Roberts, who was appointed by former President George W.
Bush in 2005.
“We are grateful for the Decision of the United States Supreme Court,” Trump said .
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on time.com — the content belongs to TIME.