Friday, 21 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇿🇦 ZA ▾
BREAKING
Volunteering may be the key to creating opportunities for young South Africans Getting biodiversity strategy right: What SA’s new action plan must deliver JOBURG ENERGY: My City Power plan, from rechargeable lights to an inverter and now solar THE WEEKEND WRAP: ANC’s apartheid indemnity deal, AI tags itself, and rattled Boks or ready Boks? MOTHER AND CHILD: FoodForward SA expands nutrition drive to 100 more families HOPE FROM ASHES: Community rallies behind NPO as fire halts vital child-focused programmes IOL's commitment to journalism recognised with Publisher of the Year Award Prince Harry and others ordered to pay initial £9.54m over failed lawsuit “They wanted me to throw Lieutenant-General Mkhwanazi under the bus” Calm returns to CPUT as higher education department steps in to end violent student protest Volunteering may be the key to creating opportunities for young South Africans Getting biodiversity strategy right: What SA’s new action plan must deliver JOBURG ENERGY: My City Power plan, from rechargeable lights to an inverter and now solar THE WEEKEND WRAP: ANC’s apartheid indemnity deal, AI tags itself, and rattled Boks or ready Boks? MOTHER AND CHILD: FoodForward SA expands nutrition drive to 100 more families HOPE FROM ASHES: Community rallies behind NPO as fire halts vital child-focused programmes IOL's commitment to journalism recognised with Publisher of the Year Award Prince Harry and others ordered to pay initial £9.54m over failed lawsuit “They wanted me to throw Lieutenant-General Mkhwanazi under the bus” Calm returns to CPUT as higher education department steps in to end violent student protest
Politics

Eastern Cape ANC says working around the clock to be ready for LGE

SABC News Politics ·
Eastern Cape ANC says working around the clock to be ready for LGE

The ANC in the Eastern Cape says it’s working around the clock to ensure the party is fully prepared for the upcoming Local Government Elections (LGE).

The province has been without elected leadership for the past two months after it failed to convene its Provincial Elective Conference (PEC) earlier this year, resulting in a leadership vacuum.

On Wednesday, the ANC’s national office bearers announced the reinstatement of the PEC.

The decision comes amid growing dissatisfaction among some ANC branches over the procedures followed in the nomination and selection of ward candidates.

Provincial Chairperson Oscar Mabuyane says they are forging ahead with party work despite some members having called for the party’s Secretary-General Fikile Mbalula to rescind the decision to reinstate the PEC.

“Already we are preparing ourselves to hit the ground running.

I think the vacuum has been felt quite hugely and it has been quite loud.

We have been grappling to deal with the challenges that we are facing.

I want to be quite optimistic that this is another opportunity that has been given to us to lead people of the Eastern Cape and to lead the ANC in the province and be ready for the next elections.

Many people believe that they can do whatever they want to do in the Eastern Cape since there is a vacuum.

There is no vacuum now.

We are back.

We will be able to deal with all the issues moving forward.” X | @SABCNews | The Provincial Executive Committee (PEC) of the African National Congress (ANC) in the Eastern Cape has been temporarily reinstated, while the party is waiting for a decision by the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) on the legal dispute of its Provincial Task Team( PTT).… pic.twitter.com/atVsYpDGmw — SABC News (@SABCNews) August 19, 2026 RELATED VIDEO | ANC Eastern Cape elective conference halted – Oscar Mabuyane speaks to SABC |

Read the full article on SABC News Politics ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.sabcnews.com — the content belongs to SABC News Politics.

More from SABC News Politics

See all ›

More in Politics

See all ›