Saturday, 22 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇿🇦 ZA ▾
BREAKING
Trump to temporarily ease US beef tariffs, irking cattle producers Limpopo police hail Musina community for tip-off on crystal meth lab Two Zimbabwean nationals arrested after illicit cigarettes worth nearly R2 million found in coal truck Where the Springboks can gain the upper hand against the All Blacks at Ellis Park US hits Canadian goods with 50% tariffs after trade talks fail Liverpool, Man City face questions in new era without Mo Salah, Pep Guardiola Former City of Tshwane worker gets life for locking a woman inside toilet, then raping her 'Somebody knows who did this': McKenzie mourns Zolani Tete death, calls for public assistance TMPD officer and attorney face bail hearing over alleged R1.75m estate fraud THEMBA MATHIBE | Crucial to bring women into the construction industry Trump to temporarily ease US beef tariffs, irking cattle producers Limpopo police hail Musina community for tip-off on crystal meth lab Two Zimbabwean nationals arrested after illicit cigarettes worth nearly R2 million found in coal truck Where the Springboks can gain the upper hand against the All Blacks at Ellis Park US hits Canadian goods with 50% tariffs after trade talks fail Liverpool, Man City face questions in new era without Mo Salah, Pep Guardiola Former City of Tshwane worker gets life for locking a woman inside toilet, then raping her 'Somebody knows who did this': McKenzie mourns Zolani Tete death, calls for public assistance TMPD officer and attorney face bail hearing over alleged R1.75m estate fraud THEMBA MATHIBE | Crucial to bring women into the construction industry
Latest

'Somebody knows who did this': McKenzie mourns Zolani Tete death, calls for public assistance

IOL ·
'Somebody knows who did this': McKenzie mourns Zolani Tete death, calls for public assistance

South African Zolani Tete, left, fights with Japan's Teiru Kinoshita during their IBF super-flyweight title match in Kobe on July 18, 2014

The Minister of Sports, Art and Culture Gayton McKenzie expressed his condolences to world boxing champion Zolani "Last Born" Tete's family and the people of Mdantsane, while appealing to the public to assist police with information that could help identify those responsible.

Zolani "Last Born" Tete was shot and killed by two masked gunmen on Friday evening at his own home, at the age of 38.

Police spokeswoman Brigadier Nobuntu Gantana said police were investigating a case of murder and attempted murder after the shooting at NU17 at about 6.30pm.

She said the 38-year-old had been arriving at his house when two armed men wearing balaclavas got out of a vehicle and opened fire on him and a 27-year-old woman in the car with him.

In a statement released on Friday evening, McKenzie said the department will do everything it can.

"I want to speak first to his family and to the people of Mdantsane. There are no words I can offer tonight that will be equal to what you have lost. Your son's name will not be treated lightly by this country, and my Department and I are at your disposal in the days ahead, in whatever way is useful to you," said McKenzie

The minister added that he will not speculate on the incident, adding that the investigation belongs to the South African Police Service, and the detectives working it tonight need support.

"Two armed men in balaclavas got out of a car in Mdantsane and killed one of our greatest world champion at his own front gate, and they are still out there tonight. I appeal to anyone who saw anything, who knows anything, who heard anything, to come forward. Somebody in that community knows who did this."

In 2014, he made South Africa proud after coming home with the IBF junior-bantamweight title after competing in Japan. He took the WBO bantamweight title and defended it against the best of his generation, in Belfast, in Yekaterinburg.

In 2017, he made history by ending a world title fight in eleven seconds. That record still stands.

McKenzie requested that media and members of the public do not circulate images and unverified detail, adding that Boxing South Africa and his Department will consult the family on how the sport should honour him.

"He was training for a return to the ring. He believed he still had something to give this country. He was right, but he will not get the chance now. He, and all of us, have been robbed," said McKenzie.

Read the full article on IOL ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on iol.co.za — the content belongs to IOL.

More from IOL

See all ›

More in Latest

See all ›