Siya Kolisi will be back for the second Test, says Rassie Erasmus
Skipper Siya Kolisi, who has played just 24 minutes of Test rugby this season, will return to the Springbok line-up for the second Test against the All Blacks in Cape Town on Saturday, says coach Rassie Erasmus.
Speaking after his team went down 16-33 to New Zealand in the series-opener at Ellis Park on Saturday night, Erasmus seemed confident that Cheslin Kolbe, who limped off the field in the second half, would be alright.
The mentor was impressed with the performance of Paul de Villiers in the No 6 jersey normally worn by Kolisi, before he was replaced by Marco van Staden.
Kolisi missed the opening three Nations Championship matches against England, Scotland and Wales last month because of a hamstring issue, and then managed to survive just 24 minutes against Argentina in Buenos Aires two weeks ago.
Kurt-Lee Arendse was taken off early in the match after “his mouth got pinged”.
André Esterhuizen went on to replace him, but Erasmus said he had planned to use the hybrid at loose forward.
“Then Andre had to go to centre and obviously Jesse [Kriel] had to play out of position then at wing. And then Cheslin got injured later and then Cobus [Reinach] had to go to nine … and Grant [Williams] had to go to wing.”
Van Staden and fellow-substitute Reinach were yellow-carded in quick succession deep into the second half.
“It’s impossible to attack without a nine and without a flanker, so it was a lost cause.”
5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.timeslive.co.za — the content belongs to TimesLIVE Sport.