Sunday, 23 August 2026 SourcesAbout🌓
🇿🇦 ZA ▾
BREAKING
South African News

Fight fraternity still reeling with shock after boxer Zolani Tete’s murder

Sowetan ·
Fight fraternity still reeling with shock after boxer Zolani Tete’s murder

Boxing icon Zolani “Last Born” Tete who was brutally murdered by gunmen outside his home in Mdantsane on Friday evening will be laid to rest on Saturday.

Tete’s manager Mlandeli Tengimfene said the funeral service for the slain boxer will be held on August 29 in the City Hall.

The memorial service will also take place at the City Hall on Wednesday.

The courage of the global star, who was the youngest South African boxer to win a world title at the age of 19, lives on in the hearts of everyone he inspired.

South African former world boxing champion Zolani 'Last Born' Tete was shot dead after being ambushed by armed men outside his Eastern Cape home, according to police and the country's sports minister https://t.co/lVCmXvbb8v pic.twitter.com/iQXoCKjW1a

This is how the boxing fraternity in their tributes to him remembered the switch-hitter who won world titles in three weight divisions.

Tshele Kometsi, who promoted Tete’s comeback fight at Booysens on December 12 2021, after Tete had been on a break since losing the WBO belt in November 30 2019, said: “Zolani’s death reminded me we must live life to the fullest because tomorrow in not guaranteed ... the manner in which he passed on disturbs me because in my eyes, he was a God-fearing, respectful and humble young man.

“When I heard the news about his passing, something said to me it was a mistake but seeing the news on TV confirming it made me realise that indeed the champ is gone.

“I am deeply saddened by the news especially to hear that he was gunned down just next to his home ... that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Without speculating, I hope the truth will come out. I thank him for all the memories and hopefully he will rest in eternal peace despite dying so brutally.”

WATCH | Some emerging boxers in the Eastern Cape say they are devastated by the murder of former world boxing champion Zolani Tete and have called on police to do everything in their power to bring those responsible to justice. pic.twitter.com/0jZh6qaxqI

Former IBF and IBO junior featherweight world champ Vuyani “The Beast” Bungu, whose first born daughter has a 16-year-old son with Tete, said: “It’s not easy to accept that he’s gone. I can’t take it ...nine bullets. in front of his gate ... they wanted him dead.

“He was a bubbly boy. I was shocked that some people can do this to him.”

Andile Sidinile, who took Tete to the Floyd Mayweather Jr gym in Las Vegas where Tete trained under Mayweather’s father, said: “Look, for me, Zolani achieved what any other boxer would dream about.

“At 19 he was the youngest ever world champion from the Eastern Cape, probably in SA, when he won the WBF world flyweight title.”

Read the full article on Sowetan ›

5News aggregated this summary from the outlet’s public feed. The full article, with all the context, is on www.sowetanlive.co.za — the content belongs to Sowetan.

This story in other outlets

More from Sowetan

See all ›

More in South African News

See all ›